So here is how to get this all important decisions right.
- Get three quotes
- Check references - it is vital to do so to avoid disappointment
- Word of mouth recommendations - speak to your friends
- Compare quotes - don't necessary go with the cheapest but the one that strikes the best balance between price and quality
- Written agreement & schedule of works - make sure you get written agreement clearly outlining work to be done with an estimated time frame
- Check Trade Associations - member firms would have been vetted and if things go wrong, there should be a complain procedure in place
- Finally - never pay the whole amount in advance!
Here are some websites for firms accredited to an official governing body:
Plumbing and heating: The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering
Builders: The Federation of Master Builders
General trades: TrustMark